NSS (National Service Scheme)
The National Service Scheme has two-fold goals:
- The Educational Goal of the NSS implies that besides gaining understanding of concepts like community, social structure, power conflict etc., occurring in real life situations, students should acquire competence in the fields of program planning, shouldering of responsibilities participation in co-operative tasks and promotional work in the community.
- The service goal of the NSS also calls for Educational approach in solving community problems. Its purpose is to help community to recognize its needs and to assist in the mobilization of resources to meet these needs.
COLLEGE LEVEL PROJECTS:
- A squad of 15 NSS volunteers participated in the Independence Day Parade in the College on 15th August, 2009 along with NCC cadets.
- Audio-visual presentation for teachers on the occasion of Teacher'sDay on September 5th, 2009.
- Orientation Day for new recruits of NSS.
- College Clean-up project: Volunteers worked on Sundays and assisted the gardener and cleanliness staff in cleaning the College campus by removing garbage and weeds from the lawns.
UNIVERSITY LEVEL PROJECTS:
- NSS volunteers participated in the Hiroshima Day Peace March organized on 6th August 2009.
- Sale of flags prepared by mentally and physically challenged children from 10th to 14th August, 2009. The proceeds of the sale were donated for the welfare of these children.
- Ganesh Immersion Project: NSS volunteers assisted the Mumbai Police in handling crowds at Dadar Chowpatty on the days of Ganesh Visarjan (27th August and 3rd September, 2009.)
- Two NSS volunteers attended a Leadership Training Camp from 19th to 23rd September at Swanad Yog Dham Ashram, Badlapur.
- On 2nd October 2009, NSS volunteers attended a seminar on Mahatma Gandhi at the Convocation Hall, University of Mumbai, Fort Campus.
- NSS volunteers participated in the World Peace March from Azad Maidan to Mumbai University on 15th October 2009.
- NSS volunteers participated in Anubhuti, an inter-collegiate festival organised by Ruia College on 28th and 29th October 2009. Our volunteers won First Prize in group dance, Second Prize in group singing and Third Prize in the elocution competition. The Contingent Leader of our College won the Best Contingent Leader award.
- On 5th November 2009, our NSS volunteers participated and won the Third Prize in the street play competition organised by K.C. College in memory of Sadhu Vaswani.
- NSS volunteers raised awareness about animal rights by participating in the Meatless Day Rally organised by K.C. College on 18th November 2009.
- One NSS volunteer was selected for the final State Republic Day Parade during the Selection Camp organised from 17th to 26th January at the University of Mumbai.
- NSS volunteers participated in Udaan, an inter-collegiate festival organised by Khalsa College on 5th and 6th February, 2010. Our volunteers won First Prize in the essay competition, Second Prize in the street play and Third Prize in the group dance competition.
AREA / ISSUE-BASED PROJECTS:
- MDACS: The following inter-collegiate competitions were conducted for students based on the theme of AIDS awareness from 9th to 11th September 2009:
- Essay writing
- Poster making
- Slogan writing
- Poetry writing
Mr. Satyam, a representative of MDACS presented prizes to the winners of the competitions on 11th September 2009.
- Red Ribbon Express: Our volunteers visited an exhibition on 22nd and 23rd January 2010 organised as part of this nationwide programme in order to spread awareness about AIDS among youth.
- Two Seminars on AIDS awareness were organised by the College NSS Unit. The resource persons were Mr. Satyam (MDACS) and Mr. Vijay Jawlekar (PSM Department, KEM Hospital.
- A Blood Donation Camp was organised in the College Gymkhana in collaboration with the St. George Hospital on 2nd February 2010. Volunteers displayed posters and enacted a street play on the importance of blood donation. 159 bottles of blood were collected.
- Three NSS volunteers attended a Peer Group Training Camp on 21st and 22nd February 2010 at Swanad Yog Dham Ashram, Badlapur. They were given information regarding AIDS awareness.
- Members of Swayam conducted a Disaster Management Workshop in the College. It included information on types of calamities, rescue techniques and First Aid along with practical demonstrations of the same.
The College NSS Unit organised a Two-day City-level Workshop on Water Harvesting and Conservation sponsored by the University of Mumbai. The workshop was conducted on 6th and 7th February in the College premises. 50 students from 10 different colleges participated in the workshop. The workshop comprised of the following sessions:
- A talk on Successful Water Conservation Plants in our College by our alumni Mr. Girish Dhoke (Chairperson of the NGO MOB) and Mr. Amit Jathar (member, MOB).
- A presentation on Privatisation of Water by Ms. Deepali Bhide, Lecturer, Department of Geography.
- A talk on Watershed Area Development by Mr. Hiren Patil (Trustee, National Institute of Rural Integrated Development.
- A talk on Water Harvesting and Conservation Projects by Mr. Ravindra Kadam, Director of the NGO Paryavaran Dakshata Manch.
- Sky Observation session conducted by Mr. Ganesh Madkaikar, Lecturer, Department of Physics.
- A cultural programme including activities like singing, group dance, street plays and so on.
- A talk and game on Importance of Water Harvesting in Mumbai City by Mr. Prashant Shinde, SrushtiDnyaan organization.
- A presentation on Types of Water Conservation in Rural Areas by Ms. Bharati Unni, NSS Programme Officer, Sathaye College.
- A presentation on Types of Water Harvesting projects by the College NSS Unit.
- OHP and poster presentation on Importance and Scarcity of Water by Dr. Hemant Pednekar, former Principal, Kirti College.
- A talk on Water Conservation Techniques by Dr. Umesh Mundhye (member, MOB).
- Questionnaire and overall feedback from participants.
- Woollen Mill Compound Project: NSS volunteers organised educational and cultural competitions for the students of the Municipal school (standard VI - IX). A seminar on Career Guidance was conducted for the students. The volunteers celebrated Republic Day with these students on 26th January 2010 and distributed prizes to the winners of the competitions.
- UMED - Senior Citizen Talent Showcase: Competitions like singing, mono-acting, poetry writing, instrumental music, essay writing and handicraft were conducted to enable the senior citizens of Dadar G North ward to showcase their talents. The event which was held on 24th February 2010 at the Dadar-Matunga Cultural Centre was a great success.
A seven-day residential camp was held for our NSS volunteers at Binoy Gardi Swajan Vidyalaya, Alonde, District Thane from 5th to 13th January 2010. The following activities were undertaken during the camp:
- Construction of water-harvesting plant to save water for use in summer.
- Survey of village and campaigning for health camp.
- Cleaning of camp-site.
- Medical check-up camp (chicken gunya and skin diseases)
- Distribution of medicines to villagers.
- Conducted drawing, handwriting and singing competitions as well as IQ test for Adivasi school children.
- Session on personality development for NSS volunteers.
- Session on water harvesting for NSS volunteers.
- Session on communication skills for NSS volunteers.
- Performed street plays in the village based on the themes of Importance of Female Education, Emancipation of Women and Eradication of Superstitions about Black Magic.